Let’s face it, moving and going back-to-school are both stressful. Moving house represents a transition in life, it’s about change and unfamiliarity and for many people that causes stress and anxiety. Going back-to-school time can be stressful for all involved too—the kids heading back to school, the parents who have to shuttle them around and get them going,
Kick the school year off right with these 5 simple tips to make the most of your child’s first month back at school.
1) Reach out to your child’s teachers: Attend meet-the-teacher night, orientation or other welcome events, but don’t stop there. Make a point of introducing yourself and learning about class activities and expectations for the year.
Each year as summer draws to a close, parents and students all begin their back to school preparations. The first day of school can be difficult for children of all ages. Children entering school for the first time are often anxious, but even children who have already attended school can be upset or concerned on the first day. While children are filled with excitement and first-day jitters, parents are filled with thoughts of “Am I prepared enough?”
2) Get in the groove: Establish healthy at-home routines for school days, such as consistent waking times and getting-ready patterns. Decide on a regular homework time, and create a comfortable, quiet workspace.
3) Time things right: Stay on top of everyone’s school, activity, and work schedules with a free online calendar or a smartphone app.
4) Pack smart: Make sure your child’s backpack never weighs more than 10 to 20 percent of his or her body weight; heavy packs can strain developing muscles and joints.
5) Commit to volunteering: With help from parents like you, your school can offer many more programs and services for your kids. Ask about volunteer opportunities in the school community and your children’s classrooms, and check out your school’s parent organization.
Through preparation and organization, you can ensure that your child will have a smooth transition to the start of the new school year. By doing so, you and your child can enjoy the rest of your summer break. Lastly, contact Aussie Moving if you need help removing stress from your next move!