4-5 Weeks before Move
• Contact or visit your local Post Office to obtain a Change of
Address form. You can also obtain this form online at the postal service
website by visiting www.usps.com.
You can make copies of this change of address form or make up your
own change of address notice to give to the following people and businesses.
Friends and family
Credit card companies
Doctors, dentists and any other service providers
Clubs or associations
Magazine and newspaper subscriptions
• This is a good time to take a look at what you own, and decide
what must go and what can be left behind. All items such as old books,
magazines, broken items and old toys can be left behind. Remember, adding more
weight to your shipment will cost you more money.
• Organize your move by deciding and making lists of what items
you will not transport, what items Aussie Moving will move and what items you
will move yourself.
• Make a decision on who will do most or all of the packing. It is
a good idea that you let Aussie Moving do most of the packing. Aussie Moving
knows the best methods for keeping items safe and secure as this is what they
do for a living.
• If you do most of the packing or all the packing please refer to
our Packing Guide. Ask
Aussie Moving for further details about handling unusual and
delicate items and begin preparing those items that are not frequently used.
• Get your kids involved in the moving process. Allow your kids to
do some supervised packing. Let them suggest a layout for their new room. Make
it fun and exciting for them to move.
• Contact utility providers (e.g. telephone, gas, electric, cable
TV and trash collection) at new and old locations with your moving date to make
arrangements for connection and disconnection.
• Complete banking arrangements in old and new location and
transfer any funds to your new bank if necessary.
• Check requirements for new drivers license and auto registration
in your destination state.
3 Weeks before Move
• Notify Aussie Moving if there are any changes in the dates of
your move. If you will need any additional accessorial services such as piano
moving, packing and unpacking, or storage you should inform Aussie Moving for
pricing information. Also inform Aussie Moving if you add or subtract items
from your planned shipment.
• Decide how much packing you will handle yourself. You should
inform Aussie Moving of any items that you decided for them to pack.
• Whether you move your car with Aussie Moving or a car carrier,
you should make your final reservation for a car pick up at this time.
• Make transportation arrangements for your pets. Take your pets
to your veterinarian to ensure proper up to date health certificates and rabies
inoculations. Some states will require these documents.
• You will need to carry all valuable jewelry with you. If you
have any valuables around the house, be sure to collect them before leaving.
• Return any borrowed items such as library books. Also collect
all items that are being repaired, stored, or cleaned (clothing, furs, shoes
• If you are moving to a building with an elevator make sure the
elevator will be available on your intended day and time of arrival at your
2 Weeks before Move
• Transfer all prescriptions to a drugstore in your new city.
Clear all your safety deposit boxes.
• Disconnect and disassemble your computer system before your
move. Back up all your computer files on a disk. Consider taking all back up
files and disks with you in the car or whatever mode of transportation you will
be using to get to your new home. Remember, exposure to extreme temperatures
can damage your software.
• Make final packing decisions. Clean and clear your home
including closets, basement and attic.
• Dispose of items that represent a hazard and are not allowed to
be shipped. Please refer to the “items not to pack” section for more
information on what you cannot or should not ship.
• Tape and seal all cleaning fluids that are non-toxic and
non-flammable in plastic bags.
• Drain your lawn mower, snow blower and power tools of all the
oil and gasoline to ensure safe transportation.
• Schedule appliance disconnection and preparation with a service
• If you need to use outside storage call Aussie Moving about
storage options available.
• Have your automobile serviced if you plan to travel by car.
• Cancel newspapers and other regular deliveries.
• Clean out gym and school lockers.
1 Week before Move
• Make sure to separate out which items you’ll take with you and which
items the movers will take. Items you may wish to take with you could be
jewelry and important documentation.
• Make sure you haven’t overlooked anything in the house including
• Mark the boxes to be shipped with the words, “Fragile,” “Do Not
Load” and “Load Last” stickers.
• Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator, freezer and clean
your stove all at least 24 hours before moving to let them air out. Try using
baking soda to get rid of any odors. You can also leave a container of baking
soda in the refrigerator.
• Mow your lawn one last time before you move.
• Prepare items you will need while your goods are in transit.
Pack your suitcases and confirm travel arrangements for you and your family.
Try to keep plans as flexible as possible in the event of unexpected delays or
• Make sure Aussie Moving knows the address and phone number of
your new home. You should also provide an address and phone number of where you
can be reached until you will get to your new home.
• Arrange for payment to Aussie Moving. Contact us to inquire
about methods of payment accepted. Generally this will be cash on delivery
• Verify your insurance you have chosen with Aussie Moving. Refer
to our “Insurance and Liability” guide for more information.
• Pick up any dry cleaning and laundry.
• Settle any outstanding bills with local merchants.
• Return videos and library books.
• Prepare your “first night back” and “ready box.” Your first
night box should contain the clothing and toiletries you will need for the
first night in your new home. See “first night bag guide.”
• Disconnect and clean any appliances that will be moving with you
and those that will remain.
• Gather keys, alarm codes, garage door openers and be prepared to
hand them over to the new owner or real estate agent.
• If your old home will be unoccupied for a period of time after
you move, notify the police.
Aussie Moving Inc